Common Media is looking for an energetic, driven, and collaborative developer to join our digital agency. The ideal candidate has a deep background in Drupal, demonstrated experience architecting custom solutions, and is equally adept at front- and back-end development. They also like to talk with people, including clients, about their work, and collaborate with colleagues.
Common Media crafts custom Drupal and WordPress products from a renovated farmhouse in western Massachusetts. We provide strategic, design, and development services to higher ed and corporate clients. We believe a website is never done when it launches — it requires continuous refinement and attention. All of our project managers, developers, and designers approach their work as a long-term relationship with a client.
Our developers help shape projects from the start. We’ll ask you to participate in requirements gathering, discovery workshops, and investigate existing codebases before implementation even kicks off. As part of a team, we are all equally accountable for a project’s success. We want our developers to feel ownership of their work and invite them to craft their own solutions and project plans.
It’s not unusual for a developer to workshop a problem directly with a client, alongside a strategic or creative consultant. Throughout the life of a project, our developers may also interact directly with a client or help guide our project manager in communication. We’re looking for a developer who can execute great work, but also explain what they’ve done and why they did it that way.
Developers at Common Media work in small, cross-discipline teams, often alongside other developers, designers, and strategic consultants. Everyone in our shop is nimble and invested in the work they are doing. We start our week with an all-staff stand-up meeting to hear about the work other teams are doing and communicate almost constantly via Slack and Teamwork.
- Committed to supporting digital products holistically and doing excellent work
- We ask lots of questions to understand what a client really needs before offering the best solution
- We’re curious
- We’re genuinely nice people
- Lots of knowledge and respect for the Drupal API and standard development practices
- Good communicator, who sees the benefit of a collaborative approach
- Likes to take ownership of, and responsibility for, technical challenges
- Stays current with trends and best practices, and is able to identify and apply new solutions to old problems
- Always mindful of edge cases, always testing your own code
- Believe in writing good code for the sake of writing good code
- Familiar with Git
- Comfort working on the command line, especially in Mac and Linux environments
- Front-end and back-end savvy
- Eager to work with other engineers as well as strategic/creative team members
- Genuinely nice
- Creative thinker, problem solver
- Experience defining and documenting requirements
Helpful, not required
- Experience converting well-documented business requirements into technical solutions
- Experience collaborating directly with clients
- Experience at another agency in a similar role
- Experience in the higher ed space
- Active role in the Drupal community
- Competitive salaries
- A company matched retirement contribution
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- Well-stocked snack shelf
- Cold-brew coffee on tap
- Immediate proximity to the bike path
- A yearly professional development stipend